|Coconut Beans and Pea Pilaf for a Rainy Day|
Now that I'm really past my allergies - two weeks of suffering and chapped nose - I can go back to the kitchen to do more than heat up a can of soup. I made this as comfort meal - a pea pilaf topped with beans cooked in a coconut-onion gravy (recipe for the gravy borrowed from my mother in law).
Ingredients for beans in coconut gravy
1 can cannellini beans
1 yellow onion (medium sized) chopped
1 small tomato (chopped)
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander powder
1 dry red chilli
2 tablespoons cooking oil (any kind)
Ingredients for Pea Pilaf
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion (medium)
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon mixed herbs (I used Italian mix)
2 teaspoons ground pepper (or less if you like)
1/2 cup mixed green peas and corn kernels
1 cup rice
Salt (I used herbed sea salt and it tasted amazing)
Cooking method for the beans:
- First, toss the onions and broken dry red chilli (just break the chilli into thick pieces) in 1/2 tablespoon of oil - medium heat. Wait for onions to turn translucent and then add the shredded coconut.
- Stir it around and then add the turmeric, ground coriander powder and garam masala. Stir the mixture.
- Add the chopped tomato and stir it all together. Wait until the tomato looks a little wrinkly (cooked).
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Grind to a paste (as fine as you can) in the blender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok-type vessel.
- Add the paste to it and stir it. Add water to make a thick, gravy-like consistency. Increase the heat so it boils.
- Rinse the cannellini beans and add them to the gravy.
- Mix the beans into the gravy and add salt.
- Let the gravy boil and then switch it off.
Cooking method for pilaf:
- Heat the oil in a deep vessel (whatever you use to cook rice).
- Add the onions and stir them in until they become translucent.
- Add the bay leaf and spices (pepper, mixed herbs).
- Add the peas and corn mix. Toss them until they're properly coated in the oil.
- Add the rice.
- Add double the quantity of water (1 cup rice = 2 cups water).
- Mix in some salt. Adjust the salt at this point so it spreads evenly as the rice is cooking.
- Increase the heat so it boils and cooks the rice and veggies.
- Check after 10 minutes. It usually doesnt take long at all.