Monday, December 10, 2012

Cheesy Spicy Corn Muffins

I have tried making cornbread muffins a number of times before but never achieved a result worth sharing on the blog, until now. I hit on a really great recipe from a site on Pinterest - http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2012/05/jalapeno-cheddar-cornbread-muffins.html - and made these wonderful Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins - a blend of sweet and spicy. Cornbread batter is my current favourite to make - no fuss, melted butter, easiest to mix...what's not to like? Plus it's a great weekend activity, doesnt take long to whip up and you've got an interesting addition for Sunday brunch.

Here's my nice warm plate of cheesy muffins.

Jalapeno Cheddar Muffins - the one in the center has melted cheese on top
On an impulse, just as they were about to go into the oven, I topped four muffins with the shredded cheese just to see what happened when they baked. And because I didnt want to ruin all the muffins in case the cheese burned, I only topped four muffins. After they came out and had cooled down enough to handle, I wished I'd topped all of them....the cheese-topped ones turned out great with that extra pop of flavour on top.

Love the slight crumbing
This is an elegant muffin, with a complex mix of flavours - the batter has sugar and honey, which contrast perfectly with the heat of the jalapeno. All in all, one of my favourite muffins both to make and eat!

Do try it and lemme know how you liked it.

I love how joining Pinterest has broadened my foodie horizons and also my cooking/baking skills. If you're also on Pinterest, let me know and I'll follow your site. And if you have some favourite Pinterest recipes, do send me a link. I'm always on the hunt for great recipes.

 

7 comments:

  1. Vinita, these look amazing!!! I love anything with cheese and my husband will love the spice. Honey does sound like a nice touch too!

    I am on Pinterest. I have two accounts. One for my blog (mostly crafty goodies... you're surprised, right??!! lol) and a personal one. Here are my links if you'd like to follow along.

    Here's the one for my blog:
    http://pinterest.com/caughtonawhim/

    Here's my personal one (definitely more recipies in this account):
    http://pinterest.com/pmeesha/

    I'll be happy to follow you too. I can't wait to see all the yummy recipies you have pinned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! Thanks I'm so happy they turned out well. Lemme know how you and your hubby liked the cornbread muffins. Over here, I'm a fan of spicy food and my husband likes milder, sweeter foods so its the perfect muffin for us.

    Great, now I can follow you on Pinterest too. Glad that you're putting up the craft photos on Pinterest, some day I bet I'll see them on etsy or some site like it :). I already know you're a craft genius :D now am looking forward to following your foodie links too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardley ever share my personal Pinterest board because it shows how clearly obsessed with pinning I am. LOL! I figured you'd like some of the recipies though. I'll keep you posted on how I like this cornbread once I give it a try. :)

      P.S. You might like my friend Stephanie's blog Pretty and Delectable. She's always posting recipies. Here's a link:
      http://prettyanddelectable.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  3. I have never been able to get cornbread to turn out either - mine is always thick & heavy like a brick! But cheesy cornbread sounds pretty darn tasty! Love that you added some heat to kick things up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was really good cornbread. I do love the jalapeno touch :).

      I've heard that you can also make corndog muffins, gotta add that to my pinterest page.

      Delete
  4. This looks/sounds so delicious! One of my daughers loves pepper jack cheese and cornbread, and I bet she would really enjoy these! Trader Joe's makes a really great boxed cornbread mix if you are ever feeling lazy/in a pinch... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the tip! I already love Trader Joe's pancake mixes, so will certainly pick this one up. Also, welcome to my blog :)

      Delete